Thursday, May 19, 2011

Recap: March


Mobile, AL, originally uploaded by mylla7777.

So I thought I had taken this photo in April, but it actually proves to be the end of March! Yay.

March brought the terrible Midterms. Of course, right before this, I came down with an awful cold and was sick for three weeks. I was running a fever with spots on my throat so I went to the campus clinic to get checked for strep... well, I guess the doctor wasn't "in," so they sent me to urgent care... THANKFULLY, I didn't have strep. Just an awful cold. Kind of tied up most of my March. I was on the upside though, when I took this picture.

This semester I took Photography I. It was a /hard/ class! Not that I took bad pictures or anything, but I think my professor just grades steeply. And a lot of the reqs for the projects were kind of ridiculous.

Anyway. This one Saturday my cousin took my sister and me off campus. We went to downtown Pensacola, the ocean, Steak and Shake (yummmm), and all the way up to Mobile, Alabama, which is where this picture was taken. I had a BLAST. I love exploring new places. The town was practically dead for being a Saturday afternoon, so we could roam about and take pictures as much as we liked.

I'll give you a little bit of a feel for Mobile. It's very, very warm and humid. It's quiet, almost eerily so. There's pollen piled along the brick sidewalks and streets. There isn't a place you can look where there isn't some sort of flower bush. Occassionally you'll see a middle-aged man sitting on one of the many benches by himself. The roads are skinny, and the sidewalks sometimes detour into small park areas that have monuments and signs with the city's history.

There was a wedding in an old church, and I got to see the bride walk into the church, photographer trailing behind. A community party with a couple unknown country singers occuppied another corner of the street. Even when we walked out of the neighborhoods and into the store area, everyone around seemed sleepy and slow. It was definitely a fun place to explore on foot rather than in a car. Totally made my March.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Welcome back to the world of blogging! :D I look forward to seeing your photos this summer.

    Boy, this photo sure conveys the deserted feel that you described in your post.

    ReplyDelete